Hi All,

We are so close!! Awesome team! Now lets bring it home...

We have a new version of browse. It only works on build 656 so do not
install it on other images.

Get it from: http://olpc.betarun.com/BrowseNew-1.xo

Just point your XO browser at that and it will install.

Can someone test the workflow of:
1 - create text and image in write
2 - open new browse
3 - go to EduBlog (you can use
http://olpc.betarun.com/dev/ui/student_sp.php if the new URL/login is
not clear)
4 - pick what you created from the journal/file picker and upload it to
the blog.

I'd like to hear that working on build 656 before I ask the alpha test
teachers to try it. Please also give the new browser and the whole XO a
sniff test to see if there are any "regressions" due to this new browse.

Tarun,

These instructions are good: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/EduBlog_Instructions

but I need to the URLs and logins (leave the password out). The shorter
the URL the better so maybe we will need a "home page" but leave that
for later. Add the links to the doc and I think we are ready for alpha test.

If its not too hard, I think the new write with name changed and in .xo
format may be useful. If you can make and post that too, I think we may
need it.

FYI I pasted the Moodle instructions and URLs below.

E-mail me for a password if you want to try this out.

Thanks,

Greg S

Hi,

I just did a test, and it looks like everything is working decently.
I'd be happy to hear anyone's comments on the UI and if there are any
major bugs that need to be fixed before the beta test.  Please don't
send these links out to too many people, they are to the unstable
version.  When everything is working, it will be transferred to the
stable area linked to from the main site.  (Also why I did not send this
out to any public list).

For testing, I've only made three accounts: tarun (Admin), student,
teacher.  All three have the root password as the password.  The pages
that comprise EduBlog (only one blog set up right now) are:

Local Blog (Need Student Login):
http://edublog.venango.org/test/EduBlog/moodle/mod/oublog/view.php?id=3
New Post (Need Student Login):
http://edublog.venango.org/test/EduBlog/moodle/mod/oublog/editpost.php?blog=2
New Blog (Need Teacher Login):
http://edublog.venango.org/test/EduBlog/moodle/course/modedit.php?add=oublog&type=&course=2&section=0&return=0
Manage Remote Blogs (Need Teacher Login):
http://edublog.venango.org/test/EduBlog/moodle/mod/oublog/manageremoteblogs.php

Anyone using build 656 will need to install a patched version of Browse
to get the image upload to work.  I had planned on attaching these, but
my mail client is not cooperating with me at the moment.  I will send
them out later.  You will need to remove the old versions first.  Image
upload also still needs to be made IE compatible.  Other features all
work in IE.

It should take you to a login screen and after logging in, you should
see the appropriate page.

There are a few critical bugs I've already found, so please don't report
these:
1) Required message shows up on tinyMCE with content and has to be
submitted twice.
2) Clicking manage remote blogs when creating a blog results in loss of
data entered.
3) Preview does not work on XO.  The IFrame ends up being blank.
4) Kids cannot post directly, teachers have to do publishing (more of an
added feature than a bug)

We also need to resolve how to do auth.  Two ideas come to mind: Name
Only (No PW), Rename Password to Birthday or something the kids will be
familiar with  (a tiny bit more secure).  In both cases, I'm trying to
figure out how to make the info stored in a cookie so they will have to
login infrequently.

Support for uploading from Write will be challenging.  The version of
libabiword in 656 does not properly support any popular format that I am
aware of despite what abiword says (tried rtf and odt and xhtml) (xhtml
does not do images, odt and rtf just don't work).  This means I need to
figure out how to parse abw files in php.  I can't find any php
libraries for this (but still looking furiously), meaning it needs to be
done from scratch =(.

Let me know if any of you want to work on the code or the theme
directly, and Marcel or I can set you up with git access.

Thanks,
Tarun