My apologies if my comments seemed to be accusatory. As a James user, I was explaining my plight to others in hopes of receiving advice from other James users who certainly have had to tackle similar situations. You have already provided some:

1. Use the JDK's jar utility

That will work. Its a bit more cumbersome to use as I visit teh command line rarely. We have licensed WinZip copies at work, but I don't have one for home. I sort of wish WIndows XPs built in ZIP facilities could manipulate JARs.

2. Quote pathnames

The fact of the matter here is that I *did* quote my pathnames. The problem is, I can't tell where the XML parser is determining the base path for the XML file from when it goes to try and use the relative paths of the ENTITY declarations as URLs that then fails.

3. Use the Phoenix 'lib' folder for Jars

I'm a bit baffled about how James works with Avalon. Avalon is a container and James is an application that runs within the container. I'm more familiar with J2EE apps where I tend to see one container running multiple independent applications. Obviously, Avalon is installed in the James folder, so that copy probably won't ever run more than James so using its lib folder might be the better solution.

But the point I'd really like to see addressed is a comprehensive and coherent bit of documentation that covers this. I think the Wiki would be perfect for this. I think once I work through all of this, I might have a bit to contribute to it. But I have to accomplish the upgrade first.

Regards,
Brian.

Ramon Gonzalez wrote:

Hello,

Sorry that the 3 comments below really have nothing to do with JAMES, but here it goes:

I don't see why you complain about your free "ZIP" utilities in this forum
when java JDK provides a jar utility to manage archives. It's called 'jar'
and it's in the bin directory of your java JDK. And yes it's free.

And as for custom jar's, why don't you just drop them in the phoenix 'lib'
directory? Or better yet, why don't you fix your build.xml to include your
JAR's? That's what it's for.

Also having spaces in a filename is OS specific and has nothing to do with
JAMES. Just put quotes "" around your filenames.