Stefano,

Thanks for your comments.  I'm confident that there is a CRLFCRLF
between header and body when the mail is being sent.

If I send the mail to James, the uuencoded attachment comes through as
plain text.
        begin 644 test.txt
        (#0IT97-T#0H
        `
        end

If I send the mail to another SMTP server, the uuencoded attachment
comes through properly.

Therefore... I believe that my James config is not quite right.

Trevor