Hello,

I'm currently exploring James as a replacement for our old mail setup. In the current setup (using Demon Turnpike client/server) you could call it virtual hosting because we are fetching mail for a number of virtual domains into a single mailbox and sending *from* all those domains via our authed ISP SMTP gateway. There is one "primary" domain that we use for most outgoing and all internal mail (among different email-names on that domain).

To replicate this using James, I propose to continue having a single IMAP mailbox with various domains and their users having their own folderspaces within it (the reason being that mail is often moved around among these entities within the store and nobody wants to be either forwarding everything or logging in/out constantly).

It's the intricacies of the SMTP setup that I think will be tricky/impossible. The questions:

1. If I define the local (virtual) domains/usernames in domainlist.xml (and add them via the cli), can the SMTP server be made to route them all into a single IMAP store? Which is the correct mechanism for this? (I thought sieve, but that seems in a state of flux and I genuinely can't tell whether there is a functional implementation of it right now in the 3.0beta4 code.)

2. Does the SMTP server (or other component) have any way of also functioning as a client; that is, could it, instead of just relaying outgoing mail, submit it to an upstream SMTP gateway (i.e. the proper one for the message's FROM domain), including performing auth to that gateway?

3. Because of the multiple domains involved, can the upstream server be chosen from a list based on the FROM address domain?

I'm also looking at implementing 2 and 3 on the client side, but that's proving pretty tricky too and I'd hate myself for not enquiring if there was a solution in the code I'm already working with ;)

I hope I explained myself reasonably. Thanks for your time reading, and any advice.

Robin Bankhead