On Mon, 2020-04-27 at 15:32 +0900, David Leangen (Apache) wrote:
> Thank you, Rene.
>
> Is that a hard requirement? If so, then I will have to wait until we
> update to Java 11 (which is not scheduled at this time), so I’ll
> likely have to abandon for now.
>
> Shouldn’t it be possible to compile in Java 8, though? This page
> states that JRE8 is the requirement:
>
>   —> https://james.apache.org/server/quick-start.html

This guide is about deploying an already-compile James server.

Up to James 3.5 (which has a pending release), you could run with Java
8 JRE.

Starting with James 3.6, you'll need Java 11.

What you are trying to do is to compile it yourself, the requirements
are differents.

For some times now (probably 3.4) we use Java 11 compiler but target
Java 8.

Cheers,

-- Matthieu Baechler