Hello David,

I gave your link a look, but noticed my reply would be too long to fit in here. So here's the rather short version: As I've read your guide I noticed pretty early on that our usages of james are differ too much for a "fair" comparison. Just as a visual side-note: I'm not sure if this is an issue with my browser, but the code segments appear centered for me which makes them a bit harder to read as if they were aligned to the left as in a terminal. It looks like a good starting point me so someone new would at least be able to get james running, but I'm missing the important last step to actually add the user accounts via james-cli.sh (or maybe any other method). So, anything would just be rejected with a "550 user not found".

But honestly: As I only know the very specific quirks for my setup I may not be the best one to judge others guides, hence I would rather stay back with "different setups - different guides" without any intention to "demand" (or rather: request) changes to yours.

Just as a quick background: When I first set up my own mail server I started with the groupware Citadel/UX. It got an update at some point and ever since I wasn't able to get it working ever again. As this happend at a time were I was using my domain for quite some mail exchange I needed a quick and easy solution - and ended up on James after reading about it on wikipedia. My first contact was back with 3.0-RC5 and I learned quite a lot since (may some of the others on this list remember my first few questions to get james running). And although quite a lot is explained in comments and through out various sources for someone completely new to james there's still something like "james 101" or "james for dummies" missing - or maybe I'm just not aware of it.

So long,

Matt