Nothing ever got logged to either the james.log file or the wrapper.log file.
Like it didn't make it far enough in the starting process to log anything.

The link the previous responder posted offered a helpful tip. (
https://dmatthews.org/java_email.html )

On that James help page, he said:  "I have a couple of reasons for favouring
the use of run.sh over the james command. Firstly I found that although james
start and james console works fine on a fedora linux system, it fails in a way
mysterious to me on debian."

I think I will try his method of using run.sh instead of "james start". That
prevents a clean stop/shutdown from occurring in an automated way, but I guess
everything is a trade-off.

Thanks all for the help and assistance.

On Monday, April 19, 2021, 8:19:57 AM PDT, Garry Hurley