On 26/08/2013 9:27 PM, Staffan Larsen wrote:

On 26 aug 2013, at 13:03, David Holmes <david.hol...@oracle.com> wrote:

Staffan,

javaoptions will only be passed to the java invocation of the VM under test.

vmptions will be passed to all VM invocations including javac from the
compile-jdk.

Thanks, that was what I thought. So if my VM under test wants to launch a new
VM is would have to use javaoptions + vmoptions.

I would not expect so. Assuming compile-jdk and test-jdk are different I would expect your launched VM to perhaps, but not necessarily, want javaoptions only. There is no clear cut answer as sometimes the options coming in from the testsuite are not compatible with the options you need for the VM you are launching.

If your test-jdk and compile-jdk are the same then you will have trouble
telling them apart :)

That aside I would have thought it quite reasonable for the debugger and
debuggee VMs to need different options - hence the debuggeeVMOptions.

Do you have an example where this would be necessary?

Not off hand. I do recall past bugs/test-issues where the wrong options were being passed though.

/Staffan

David