On 10/9/2013 11:53 AM, Staffan Larsen wrote:
I can absolutely see where Aleksey (and 99% of the Java users) is coming from.
From a user perspective there is no difference between the launcher arguments
and the JVM arguments. Unfortunately the implementation does make a difference
between them and it's not easy to hide this difference.

A similar problem is that the actual main-class is not known by the JVM. We
work around this with the sun.java.command property, but when a custom launcher
is used that property is not set and so we lack information about this in the
JVM (and in the management APIs). The typical example of this for me is running
eclipse.

I also think that this is a good enhancement to obtain the information required to relaunch the VM besides JVM arguments as well as the entry point. BTW main-class is one kind of entry point and it would be useful to monitoring the entry point for use by other agents.

Perhaps we could extend the JNI invocation API to allow these things to be
passed through?

That's probably the appropriate API to take additional non-VM information to pass through.

  A problem is of course to define what a "launcher argument" is. For example,
sometimes Java is launched from inside another application (web browser, anyone?) and
then the arguments to that host process makes little sense to pass on.

Maybe just not to define what the value to the VM is - simply some String passed from the one who creates the VM and publish that via a supported API.

Mandy

Regards,
/Staffan