Hi Daniil,

No chance for it if you lock a raw monitor in the event callbacks.

Thanks,
Serguei

On 3/20/19 14:58, Daniil Titov wrote:
Hi Serguei,

I think that just disabling event notifications inside VMDeath callback still
leaves a small window for VMDeath callback being called after the classload
callback is called (or about being called)  but before it enters a raw monitor.
Thus I decided to follow your original suggestion  and restore volatile
modifier for callbacksEnabled.  Please review a new version of the patch.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dtitov/8218401/webrev.03/
Bug : https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8218401

Thanks!

Best regards,
Daniil

From: <serguei.spit...@oracle.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 7:17 PM
To: Daniil Titov <daniil.x.ti...@oracle.com>, OpenJDK Serviceability
<serviceability-dev@openjdk.java.net>, Jean Christophe Beyler <jcbey...@google.com>
Subject: Re: 8218401: WRONG_PHASE: vmTestbase/nsk/jvmti test crash

Hi Daniil,

I'd keep the volatile modifier for callbacksEnabled to disable compiler
optimizations.
Otherwise, looks good to me.

Another approach could be to disable event notifications in VMDeath callback
with:
   SetEventNotificationMode(JVMTI_DISABLE, JVMTI_EVENT_CLASS_LOAD, NULL);
   SetEventNotificationMode(JVMTI_DISABLE, JVMTI_EVENT_BREAKPOINT, NULL);
   . . .

Thanks,
Serguei