On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 22:10:15 GMT, Chris Plummer <cjplum...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Switching the order did not fix the problem.
>>
>> Even if we end up resolving that this is just something that can happen when
>> SA inspects things, I'd prefer to understand how this can arise. I guess I
>> need to look into how the SA tries to find the owner.
>
> Yeah, I also haven't seen a good explanation for why this is happening yet.
> I'll also look into SA, but I don't understand the hotspot code it is trying
> to emulate that well so not sure how useful I'll be.

I made a pass over the deadlock detection code involved. Nothing stuck out.
There's not much in the way of SA-isms in this code. I think anyone with an
understanding of how hotspot locking works should be able to navigate it pretty
easily and maybe conjure a hypothesis as to why this happens as frequently as
it does.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15907#discussion_r1337857814