On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 02:12:06 GMT, Yi Yang <yy...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> I had not noticed this PR sorry. I do not like the fact we have Linux-only
> functionality being added with no intent to supply similar functionality on
> other platforms. I also do not like the fact we had to ifdef the Linux code
> into the shared code. It would have been metter to place the code in
> os::Linux and then have a single LINUX_ONLY() to make that call.

I made a simple attempt, but it is difficult to integrate this portion of code
into OS Linux because it requires modifying the writer's written bytes and
setting error messages. Logically, it belongs to DumpMerge. Abstracting it into
a function similar to concatenate_file and placing it into OS Linux seems
challenging.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15245#issuecomment-1756954378