On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 16:24:24 GMT, suchismith1993 <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> J2SE agent does not start and throws error when it tries to find the shared
>> library ibm_16_am.
>> After searching for ibm_16_am.so ,the jvm agent throws and error as dll_load
>> fails.It fails to identify the shared library ibm_16_am.a shared archive
>> file on AIX.
>> Hence we are providing a function which will additionally search for .a file
>> on AIX ,when the search for .so file fails.
>
> suchismith1993 has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   change macro position

A couple of comments.

First, if you always want to look for `libfoo.a` if you can't find `libfoo.so`
then maybe that should be handled as the `os::dll_load` level? Otherwisae it is
not clear why this is something you only do for agents. ?/

Second, the amount of AIX-specific code in the shared `jvmtiAgent.cpp` now
seems unreasonable. As I think @tstuefe mentioned in another PR perhaps it is
time to find better abstractions here to hide all these AIX specific quirks?

src/hotspot/os/aix/os_aix.cpp line 3071:

> 3069:   }
> 3070:   buffer[end] = '\0';
> 3071:   strcat(buffer, extension);

At some point you need to check the length of extension won't overflow buffer.

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16604#pullrequestreview-1745744207
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16604#discussion_r1402941846