On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:27:02 GMT, Andrew Dinn <ad...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Luckily, you and your customers are not obliged to use the JPMS

They are obliged to deal with it, and so am I as a tool maintainer. Just look
the the approaches mentioned here. They all are in the category which in German
we would call "von hinten durch die Brust ins Auge". That literally translates
as "(a shot) from behind through the chest into the eye". Think Kennedy and
"magic bullet". It means that something is unnecessarily complicated. But it is
not of any developer's own choosing, but because the Java API and runtime
environment requires them to jump through hoops. That is exactly what I meant
before. Bytecode transformation should not be rocket science, but it
progressively is developing in that direction. I have seen what Byte Buddy does
to get access to an Unsafe instance, thought about what @JornVernee just
suggested and have yet to look into the ByteMan source code. This all sounds
pretty much like black magic and a maintenance nightmare to me.

A language ought to provide means to be productive and maybe offer some
(opt-in) guard railing, but not be a corset so tight that I cannot breathe
anymore. I need something that supports me without strangling me.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/3546#issuecomment-1912999685