On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 13:57:55 GMT, Matthias Baesken <mbaes...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Currently jcmd command GC.heap_dump only works with an additionally provided
>> file name.
>> Syntax : GC.heap_dump [options] <filename>
>>
>> In case the JVM has the XX - flag HeapDumpPath set, we should support an
>> additional mode where the <filename> is optional.
>> In case the filename is NOT set, we take the HeapDumpPath (file or
>> directory);
>>
>> new syntax :
>> GC.heap_dump [options] <filename> .. has precedence over second option
>> GC.heap_dump [options] …in case -XX: HeapDumpPath=p is set
>>
>> This would be a simplification e.g. for support cases where a filename or
>> directory is set at JVM startup with -XX: HeapDumpPath=p and writing to the
>> path is intended/recommended for usage also in the jcmd case.
>
> Matthias Baesken has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   suggestions from Chris for diagnosticCommand.cpp

We have a couple of additional documents that need to be updated:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/21/troubleshoot/command-line-options1.html#GUID-A84ECBFB-B6CF-44C3-B627-58BB509C8D05

This is an Oracle produced document. A `docs` CR will need to be filed to get
it updated (and I see it is already appears out-of-date w.r.t.
`HeapDumpGzipLevel`)

    src/java.base/share/man/java.1

Much like jcmd.1, this one is also derived from a closed markdown file, so
eventually someone internal at Oracle will need to update the markdown file,
but we need to see the proposed changes in the java.1 file first. This document
is also missing the `HeapDumpGzipLevel` update.

If your counting, there are 7 places where documentation will need updating

1. Oracle trouble shooting guide
2. open java.1
3. closed markdown file that java.1 is generated from
4. open jcmd.1
5. closed markdown file that jcmd.1 is generated from
6. globals.hpp
7. jcmd help output

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18190#issuecomment-2021523855