On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:33:43 GMT, Thomas Stuefe <stu...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> In my opinion, UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions is not a good enough safeguard since
> it guards a whole swathe of switches that we may instruct the customer to
> enable. Once enabled, my experience is that UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions often
> lingers around. It is not unusual for customer scenarios to have set
> +UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions because of some years ago support cases.

I think we also need to consider the flip side of this argument. Is this
something that some customers might want to always enable, but don't want to
always have UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions enabled. A new command line flag would be
needed in that case.

Also, isn't UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions meant for enabling the use of diagnostic
command line flags? Do we have examples of it enabling a hotspot feature that
does not also require setting a diagnostic command line flag?

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17655#issuecomment-2023675637