On Tue, 4 Jun 2024 08:50:25 GMT, Thomas Stuefe <stu...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Actually I'm not sure what this indentation actually does at this location
>> and its affect on other user's of this API. I would have expected the caller
>> to set up the necessary indentation in the stream that gets passed in. I see
>> you inc the indentation but then use the current indentation to insert
>> multiple tabs - which should not be necessary if the stream indentation
>> works correctly. ???
>
> Note that We are in the process of adding better and saner auto-indentation
> to outputStream. See https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/19461 . I don't
> think that PR is going to take long.
>
> If you don't want to wait, please:
> - As David wrote, use spaces, not tabs
> - Today's pattern for using outputStream indentation is:
>   - set up indentation, preferably with streamIndentor, not manually with
> inc/dec
>   - then, before printing each line, call stream->indent()
>
> This pattern would also help us to later identify and remove this manual
> indentation pattern if auto-indent becomes a thing.
>
> But really, waiting for https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/19461 would be
> preferable. Then, all you have to do is place a streamIndentor around stack
> printing. Sub-function printing is then indented automatically.

Thanks !

Your PR looks very promising @tstuefe, I would indeed prefer to wait for your
changes as a way to add additional indentation to the stack of the virtual
thread.

What do you think if I leave the current PR with the indentation that is
already used for the stack of the carrier thread and I create a separate PR
based on yours to add the additional indentation ?

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19482#discussion_r1626005247