On Mon, 28 Sep 2026 13:51:27 GMT, Kieran Farrell <[email protected]> wrote:
>> This patch adds a new jcmd diagnostic command, `VM.show_settings`, to make >> the existing -`XshowSettings` output available from a running VM. The >> command accepts the same sections as`XshowSettings` (all, vm, properties, >> locale, security, system, security:all, security:properties, >> security:providers, security:tls). >> >> HotSpot registers the new diagnostic command, validates the requested >> section, then calls into `sun.launcher.LauncherHelper` to reuse the existing >> show settings formatting and return the result as bytes for the jcmd stream. >> The VM settings path also passes hotspots `InitialHeapSize`, `MaxHeapSize`, >> and Java thread stack size into the Java helper. A new jcmd test covers VM, >> properties, security TLS, and invalid-input output. >> >> --------- >> - [x] I confirm that I make this contribution in accordance with the >> [OpenJDK Interim AI Policy](https://openjdk.org/legal/ai). > > Kieran Farrell has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional > commit since the last revision: > > remove code Making "jcmd VM.show_settings:vm" would presumably need work in the jcmd parser to split on the : and separate the argument. I'd suggest it's not worth it, hope that "-XshowSettings" users can cope. It may trip up a few people on their first try, but I think it's not the most confusing thing in jcmd. It may have been me suggesting to not list all the options because it just duplicates what is in the -X option, so one place of reference is good. But it could be done if anybody feels strongly about it. ------------- PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/31742#issuecomment-5927774313
