On Thu, 1 Oct 2026 08:34:11 GMT, Kevin Walls <[email protected]> wrote:
> Making "jcmd VM.show_settings:vm" would presumably need work in the jcmd > parser to split on the : and separate the argument. I'd suggest it's not > worth it, hope that "-XshowSettings" users can cope. It may trip up a few > people on their first try, but I think it's not the most confusing thing in > jcmd. > > It may have been me suggesting to not list all the options because it just > duplicates what is in the -X option, so one place of reference is good. But > it could be done if anybody feels strongly about it. Agreed - if the parsing/trimming past the colon makes this too complex to maintain, then it's not worth it. Thought it was worth looking at. For the help section, I'd just suggest the primary options available perhaps (rather than forcing user to go off and read other help outputs) e.g. mentioning all, locale, properties, vm, security, system. Then mentioning that it aligns with help output seen from java -X help output etc. ------------- PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/31742#issuecomment-5928747055
