Well, I'd not bother with keeping the front engine.  Reclaim that area
for luggage, fuel tank, cooling, etc.  Otherwise our thoughts parallel
each other.

Though I think I'd probably not bother and build a GT40 kit with a more
modern V-8 (Toyota, Ferd 4.6?) mated to a Porsche transaxle.  Similar
amount of effort with better aesthetics (my opinion here) and better
overall package from an engineering standpoint.

A guy here in Portland actually started building a rear engined Omni
GLH-T but I don't think he's gotten very far with it as he works on it
when the mood strikes him.  He might have even scrapped it by now as the
project started because of the car's rust issues (it was imported from
elsewhere in the country).  One thing he did say was that the drivetrain
seemed to fit just fine behind the rear seat/gas tank in the Omni.  Of
course the Daytona has a shorter wheelbase so that probably wouldn't be
true for the 'tona.

Dual throttle cables have been done before using the stock pedal.  This
was for the dual downdraft Weber/Holley using the MP manifold.  The
shift linkage would be a bit more involved and expensive since you'd
need to make sure the cables are routed and adjusted properly.  In that
case a single engine or two automatics would be an easier solution to
implement.

Mid-engined conversions have been done with the Fiat X-1/9 platform, so
anything is possible.

Stefan