I've had 2 belts jump that didn't look bad.  One was from my own stupidity.
This was a carburated 2.2 with an air pump.  I noticed the air pump wasn't
turning so while the car was running, I pushed something against the belt so as
to add a bit of tension and break the pump free.  Instantly, the car killed.
Never started again after that.  I checked the timing belt and sure enough, it
had jumped.  What happened was the crank was trying to turn the belt and by
touching the belt on the other end of the head, I bound the smooth operation
for a split second.  Just enough to jump the belt.  It wasn't much either.
The secound one is the 2.5 EFI Sundance I'm driving right now.  I bought it as
a non running car.  The day afer I bought it, I started looking at what could
be wrong with it.  I checked the belt and it was off one cog.  I changed that
and still wouldn't start.  After a while of not being able to find the problem,
I pulled the valve cover off and found 2 followers (rockers) off the cam.  They
were laying there.  The car had a bad tranny also.  What I guessed  happened,
is the tranny was slipping, the previous owner got frustrated trying to get it
to go and overrevved it.  This caused the followers to jump off the cam.  I'm
guessing that when the followers jumped, they bound  (jammed) something for
that split second and the belt jumped.  Now I can't say why the followers
jumped for sure, whether it was the tranny or what, but Im sure about why the
belt jumped.  It wouldn't take much of a bind to slip the belt.  I leaned that
18 years ago on the 83 2.2.
In both cases, The belt may have been a bit loose.  I don't remember.  I also
bought my first GLHS with a timing belt off one cog.  That belt had all his
teeth.  My family seems to like throwing followers off cams.  My sister did it
twice with 2 different Horizons and my cousin did it to my Dad's 2.5 minivan.
In my sisters case the cam and followers were badly worn and she get's mad at
her cars and over revs them after they start.  I'm not sure what my cousin did
to my Dad's van, but when Dad called to tell me they got the van running (after
a -28 day caused it to fail) he said it was running rough.  Then he said my
cousin got it running.  Then he said my cousin is a crazy kid.  The first thing
I thought was "crazy kid"?  he over revved it and threw a follower.  I was
right.  I pulled the cover off and there sat the follower.  Taking a rest from
the rest of his coworkers.  LOL

Bob Doherty  http://amoparx.net/mnsdacpic/mnsdac.htm
Coon Rapids, MN.

89 Daytona Shelby TII
89 LeBaron GTC Convert TII
87 Shelby GLHS #784
86 Shelby Charger TI
68 AMC AMX #5816  http://amoparx.net/northstaramc/northstaramc.html
94 Plymouth Sundance 2.5 TBI (My Wifes car that I drive)
http://geocities.com/amoparx/
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Hi All
> Well, that's what I get, I was talk'n up the Dodge long block that I got now
> it died! It has about 20,000 miles and so far I think the timing belt jumped
> some teeth (it has a 3year 36000 mile warranty but I really don't like anyone
> working on my cars but me). I was driving and it just stalled and never
> started again. When I lined up the timing mark on the crank the cam was way
> off.
> the belt looked good (no missing teeth) so I'm going to install a new belt
> Saturday. This has never happen to me before where a belt just jumps teeth,
> all
> the belts I have done had missing teeth. Has this happen to anyone?
>
> Thanks
> Roy
> 86 GLHS #200
> 87 Shelby Lancer #781 5sp cloth