On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 06:42:05PM -0400, Dave Tutelman wrote:

> I think you'll like it, if the head is the only variable in the equation.
> But it isn't; you're also looking at different shafts.

The shafts should be fairly similar, the RSSR readings for the DGS300 and
the Rifle 5.5 are almost the same.  I will be building the clubs to the same
length, the headweight of my Integra 400 and SRV-II are both right at
199.5gms.

> All this is consistent with Dan Neubecker's report of two months ago. The
> SRV is long and forgiving. So why will it not be in my bag tomorrow? Well,
> as TFlan is fond of reminding us, a good club doesn't make a good golfer. As
> the club gets longer, my swing tends to get more outside-in. A forgiving
> head may mask off-center hits, but there is no way it can mask a glancing
> blow. Too many of my drives with this club are long but in the trees on the
> right (face square to target line = slice) or the left (face square to path
> of clubhead = pull). The other driver is shorter in length. I don't think it
> hits the ball as far, but I'm seldom as far off-line either. (Penick - "The
> woods are full of long hitters.") In this morning range session, I focused
> on clubhead path. I could manage it better with the shorter driver, so I'll
> see how it works on the course.
>
> The difference is not much: 44" vs 45-1/4". That's worth about a dozen grams
> of head weight. If the switch back to the shorter driver works, I may try to
> shorten the SRV and see what happens. I expect I'll like the result.

Going to a 44" steel shaft over a 45" graphite made a world of difference in
accuracy.  I too fight the slice, and a 45" club almost always equaled
OB-right except when I really slowed down my swing and concentrated on the
swing plance or aimed at the rough on the left.  Of course then I'd pull the
shot and I'd be in trouble there, too.  ;-) I hit the 44" farther than the
45" graphite on average, but surprisingly I've hit shots just as far on both
setups, most likely because of the added confidence and the fact that I'm
confortable swinging harder on the shorter shaft.

I expect that you'll like the SRV-II more than the Integra IV after
getting the overall length of the club down the same as the other.  I bet
you'll still hit it just as far but keep it in play as well, too.

If I get the results anything close to what Dan got with his 12* SRV-II
(consistent high, straight down the middle) I'll be very happy and I'll have
one Integra 400 in the closet.

-Dave