Tom,

I agree with you son, Micro$oft has never gotten it right, and I suspect,
never will.  But he also needs to know that MAC is *not* the only
alternative.  Especially since he sounds like a bright individual.

I would like to suggest he look into LINUX.  Ignore the false lies circulated
by M$ etc. about Linux.  M$ is scared, *real* scared by Linux.

My wife & I have both switched *entirely* to Linux, and My son has too,
except he is "required" by his school to work in M$ format.  (He does this
under Linux, and saves in M$ DOC or whatever is needed).

Each time I introduce a family to Linux, they end up switching over, some
using both, and others nearly, or completely using only Linux.

This "switch" usually occurs after a lengthy session to remove numerous virii
(viruses if you prefer), from their M$ system.  Then they start by browsing,
and e-mailing under Linux.  Next is to simply trash Micro$oft altogether.
Why use it, when pretty much anything you need, is available under Linux, -
and it doesn't crash, or spy on you, - and is significantly more immune to
the "bugs" going around these days.

Linux is also affordable by anyone, - it can be downloaded free, or
purchased, to get more software, and support....   Lots of options, plenty of
support on line, - and if you buy one CD set, you can *legally* install it on
as many computers as you want!  (Note: there are some distributions trying to
get "greedy", and undermine this aspect of the GPL(General Public License).
Those vendors are not likely to prevail.  Many like Redhat, and Many like
Mandrake.  The *vastly* most popular version in our house is Mandrake Linux,
currently at version 8.2.  (It is essentially compatible with RedHat, so
software for RedHat, will 99% of the time run in Mandrake just fine.  Check
it out at http://www.mandrakesoft.com

Please feel free to email me off list, for any questions you might have, and
I will answer them if I can, or direct you to somewhere you will get an
answer.

You just can't beat free......  (even though I like to purchase it once in a
while, to support the company).

Cheers,

Jorgen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]