Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 6:19 PM
Subject: ShopTalk: Time out and a new way to match shafts

ST'ers,

Won't be playing any golf for a while...had my catheter implant surgery for peritoneal dialysis last Friday...two sore holes in the abdomen and a 4" tube hanging out. Can use it in two weeks and get my strength back, I hope. Funny that the last two weeks before the surgery, when I had almost no leg strength or endurance, I played some of my best golf in a couple of years... a 69, 72 and 73 in six rounds (with a couple of 80-somethings).

But...in the meantime, I have a bunch of clubs to make for friends, so I'm certainly not bored. And...I have Dan's NF2 shaft matching machine to play with. What a neat device! So simple to use once I saw how it works. Set beam length, measure deflection per inch, figure target deflections, snap in a shaft, mark NBP, slide shaft to target deflection, mark tip and cut...viola! A perfectly matched set of shafts with your choice of alignment to boot. Did some fairway wood shafts with it today. Well, maybe that's simplified a bit, but no clamping and unclamping to find the exact frequency is needed. Just slide the shaft in the bearings until it hits the required target deflection on the dial. Much faster to use to match a shaft set than a frequency analyzer. Have two sets of iron shafts to match as soon as they arrive. Will report how they go. (There must be SOMETHING difficult about using this thing.)

Bernie
Writeto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]