Missing the Golf, I know just how you feel, haven't been able to swing a club in over 12 months now.     But I found out one thing, Life still goes on.      Hang in there Buddy, if the Doc says 2 or even three weeks think of it this way as a winter lay over.

RK

Manufacturer's of World Class Golf Club Repair Equipment
-------Original Message-------

Date: Friday, July 05, 2002 12:15:33 AM
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Time out and a new way to match shafts

Dave,

> Hi, Bernie!
> How are you coming along? Hope all is going well with the healing.

Am healing up as OK as possible with a 6" tube coming out of my gut. Lots of
minor pains but nothing serious. Am kind of anxious to start the nightly
dialysis routine, so I can get some strength back....maybe next week, since
it takes two weeks to heal up before use, I've been told. Miss the golf
already.

> A couple of things about your note...
>
> (Copy to Dan Neubecker, since I'm asking questions about the NF2.)
> > I have Dan's NF2 shaft matching machine to play with.
> > What a neat device! So simple to use once I saw how it
> > works. Set beam length, measure deflection per inch,
> > figure target deflections, snap in a shaft, mark NBP,
> > slide shaft to target deflection, mark tip and cut...viola!
> > A perfectly matched set of shafts with your choice of
> > alignment to boot.
>
> That sounds remarkably like the FlexMaster approach. I think I mentioned
> Dan that was a possibility, but I hardly thought that it was that far
along.
> How do you determine a target deflection?

Dan could probably explain this better than I, since I haven't done it very
often. But, since I assume you have an idea how the NF2 is constructed, I'll
give it a shot.

To find tip sensitivity, set the shaft tip at 0" (against the tip stop). Set
beam length to accommodate about 5" of butt movement. Put the shaft in the
bearings under flex and it swings to the NBP. Take and record a deflection
reading from the dial indicator. Slide the shaft so 1" is beyond the tip
stop. Record the reading. Repeat for a couple more times and average the
difference between deflection readings....to get the tip
sensitivity/inch...say .030/inch

Matching a set of shafts, select the softest shaft for the longest club (or
just use any one) and record the deflection at its trim length....say a
3-iron shaft with a deflection number like .500". If the manufacturer
recommends a 1/2" slope for that shaft between clubs, add half the tip
sensitivity to the longest shaft deflection...that's the 4-iron target
deflection of .515". Five-iron would be .530, etc.

The easy part is the marking for trimming...just snap in a shaft, it
automatically settles on the NBP, slide the tip beyond the tip stop until
the dial indicator reads the target deflection, press the tip stop against
the shaft and rotate the shaft to score the exact cut line.

I can see already that some "hazards" exist in this operation (as there are
with a frequency analyzer, gram scale or any other sensitive
instrument)...the dial indicator is pretty sensitive to any change or
movement, so shaft handling care is needed. The beam length needs to be
locked down tightly so it won't creep. I rotate the shaft whenever I move it
to be sure it's seated on the NBP solidly. I lift the feeler and set it
gently on the rotator board to be sure the dial indicator is free. And I tap
the shaft with my finger a couple of times before I take a reading. With
care, I can get repeat readings within a thousandth or two.

> I have some ideas about how to go
> between frequency and deflection, but apparently someone has already
worked
> this one out.

Not having a frequency analyzer or much talent for mathematics, I'd be glad
to hear how you figure one from the other, if that's what you mean.

With healing time on my hands, and while waiting for two sets of irons to
arrive, I've been playing with the NF2 to see if there's some shaft
"signature" that I can identify as the profile of a graphite wood shaft I
can hit well. To do this, I've taken six different shafts from an L to an S,
with three different lengths from five manufacturers and taken deflection
readings each inch for 10 inches from the tip (moving beam length from 44"
to 36"). Then I graphed the results. Kind of interesting, but I really don't
know what I'm looking for. Noticed the L and R from the same manufacturer
have a similar curve, while the others all have different curves, so maybe
there's something to it. It's very obvious where each parallel tip ends.
And, the shafts that feel good to me all have a steep slope to the curve,
while the ones that don't feel good to me are kind of flat.

> BTW, "viola"? I guess you're taking up a musical instrument during your
time
> out. :-) Actually, that's my all-time favorite Internet misspelling,
> especially since I used to see it a lot on the musicians' newsgroups when
> hung out there in the '80s and early '90s.

Shoot, that's not my only misspelling when I type with two fingers that
aren't connected to the brain. You ought to see all the ones I fixed. Will
"presto" do? :-)

Bernie
Writeto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

.