From: James T. Voorhies [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 10:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: ShopTalk: Fitting Question

Cub,

What type of iron do you now play and how is the sole different from the
Mizuno?  If your current irons are curved and the Mizuno is flatter, then
the shorter length and flatter lie would cause the heel to be down and cause
problems.  Also what is "poor results" ?  Since you hit the center, then
what does the lie tape say?  The toe hits on the flatter lie is puzzling and
Pat's explanation is a good suspect.  You might be hitting the heel first
and the toe hits are resulting from that.  What were you hitting off of?
Lie board, grass tee, artificial tee with rubber tee, artificial tee with no
tee, bare dirt....tight lie on volcano ash?  Each of these present different
views of your problem, on one medium, the length would have a minimal
effect, and on another it would be very critical if you were on the edge of
too upright to begin with.

Without being there and seeing what you saw with a different pair of eyes,
we would be shooting in the dark.

I really have an ulterior motive for answering.

I recently tried a Raven NearNet Forged 60* wedge and liked the feel, the
results, and the 4* bounce instead of the 6* bounce I had on my Dynacraft
Flying D 60" wedge.  The head is finished very nice and the club seems to
work better for me, though I am far from a fair wedge player let alone
anywhere near a good one that could offer any real critique of a wedge head.
I usually try an unknown club in the Lob Wedge first if the set has one,
that way, if I don't like the head, I can always sell the Lob Wedge a lot
easier than a 7 or 5 iron.  I heard good things about the NearNet forged
irons and wanted to try both the cavity back with offset and the blades
which have no offset.

I am thinking of getting the Raven NearNet forged cavity back irons in 3-7
and the Blades in 8-PW to make a set.  I play 2" over modern standard length
on all my irons with graphite shafts cut to strong A Flex.  I am looking
forward to your Raven Blade Project and Report here.

The Raven site says that the Blades are oversize, and the LW I got certainly
was a nice large size.  I looked at the Cavity back and blades at McCann's a
couple weeks ago and they were a little smaller than I would like.

Anyway, with your dilemma, I would take static and dynamic lie readings and
work from there.  What happens when you choke up  .25" down on your current
irons?

Anyway, as I said, I had an ulterior motive for answering and hope to hear
of your Rave Blades project. What shaft you going to use?

Dr. Voo
RxGolf Custom Clubs