-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of tom wishon
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 4:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: ShopTalk: Tom Wishon's New Company

Dan, Bernie, John, Bruce, Arnie and especially you Al,

If you don't mind a little noxious promotion on Shop
Talk...................!!!!!!!!!

This week when the new January issue of Golf Digest arrives in the
mailbox, if you scan through the back section of ads you might see a new
ad in there popping up at you.  I am pleased to announce the
introduction of Tom Wishon Golf Technology, aka my own component
company!  After 30yrs as a clubmaker, it was about time for me and
Mary-Ellen to finally do this for ourselves!

Mary-Ellen and I have located the company in Durango, Colorado.
WHAT!!!??  Yes, Durango, Colorado!!  For one, I am a native of Colorado,
born in Denver and grew up through high school in this state.  The
mountains and this climate (beat the Texas summer heat!) are something I
always missed over the many years since I left.  Since the nature of
this business is phone/mail/internet orders and all communication with
clubmakers is done by catalog/newsletter/email we felt that we could be
anywhere to build this business as long as there was adequate trucking
in and UPS out, which Durango does have.  Durango is in a unique
location in that not only are there three UPS hubs within a couple
hundred miles (Denver, Albuquerque, Grand Junction) but the climate here
is really mild.  Two of the 4 golf courses here stay open 12 months, the
other two do not only because they are winter feeding grounds for
thousands of elk who have no concept of the etiquette of staying off the
greens!!  Yet if you drive 30 mins north of Durango, you are litereally
in the shadow of more 13,000-14,000 foot granite peaks than anywhere
else in the country.  If I was looking for inspiration from the
surroundings to keep working on clubmaking technology, it is here!!  The
other reason we decided to launch our own company and locate here is
partly personal - in the span of 4 months in 2001 I lost three very
close friends in the golf business to tragic circumstances, who were all
my age or younger.  In short, the old adage of "life's too short" hit me
like a 2X4 'tween the eyes in 2001 and made me realize it was time for
me to get away and get back to work on just what I wanted to do with the
rest of my working life in golf.  So here we are, and I look forward to
doing the best work of my entire career in the next several years.

If you don't mind, I would like to tell you a little about what we are
planning, because we are going to be a little different in terms of our
product design offerings in some areas.  Our catalog is in the final
stages of creation and will mail on February 1, 2003, but here's a
general overview of what we have planned.

First of all, in 2003 you will see what I really feel is the best
overall clubhead product line I have ever designed.  Virtually all of
the various materials imaginable plus a few new ones, and the various
methods of manufacture from casting to forging, are included in the 8
sets of woodheads, 8 sets of irons, 4 models of stand-alone wedges and 3
separate models of putters I created for the opening catalog.  The
design tone is clean, solid, unpretentious but intended to stand toe to
toe with ANY clubheads in the market, whether component or OEM.  And
there will be a very good representation in there for the left handers
too!

In the area of shafts and grips, this is where we are pursuing a little
different direction in our design and product development.  Our shaft
and grip offerings are going to be 95% all of our own designs.  I really
feel that the years I have put in doing research on shafts, including
the book I did in 1991 called The Modern Guide to Shaft Fitting, and all
of the following testing and analysis that was published in various
magazines/newsletters, etc., gave me a really solid foundation to design
a very strong line of shafts.  In addition, I am working closely on all
of our shaft designs with Robin Arthur, the designer of the ProLite when
he was at Grafalloy and now designer of all the Rifle graphites for
Royal Precision, and the two of us really are convinced with his
composites engineering experience and my testing and analysis and
fitting experience, that we can make the best shafts on the planet.
Because we know that some vendor branded shafts are always going to be
in high demand, we are going to stock a few of the popular Grafalloy,
True Temper Steel, UST and Aldila shafts, but only a few that we chose
for their variety of playability for golfers.   For example, we will
stock the ProLite 35S and 45R, but not the 35R or 45S because I believe
from my work that a shaft like the ProLite 35 is only suited for higher
swing speed players, and a shaft like the 45 is only modeled for medium
swing speed players.

In the area of grips, we are offering a totally 100% proprietary line of
our own grip designs.  We will offer no other vendor's grips in our
product line because I really had a fun time working with two of the
biggest and best grip manufacturing companies in the world on different
rubber compounds, molding techniques, and new styles and grip design
features.  The result is 6 different lines of grips from soft to firm
molded compounds to simulated leather slip-ons.  For example, the 2
different cord grips are really different in that they feature different
populations of cord fiber with a much less harsh texture on the hands.
Or for example, the rubber wrap style grips are made with a wider and
different angled wrap design that feels better in both hands, or a
bigger lower hand section as a standard feature.

The Tools and Technology section is also going to show clubmakers a
completely different approach in our product line.  For one, we are not
going to offer clubmaking tools for assembly or repair.  Instead, we are
going to focus on fitting tools/devices and technology items to help
clubmakers learn more and do a better job of fitting and educating their
customers.  For example, our new putter fitting tool will fit all
lengths from normal to Belly to Long and will do it all in a way that
puts the golfer's eyes directly over the ball to ensure accuracy of the
length/lie fit.  There will also be a number of new software programs to
help clubmakers learn more about how golf clubs work, and how to fit
golfers more accurately.  On the R&D side I have three of the BEST
engineering/testing/analytical minds in golf helping me so that we can
continue to keep helping clubmakers learn and educate their customers.
That's a little tough on an opening year budget, but it was important to
ensure we keep putting out the best tech information so I bit the bullet
to do that right from the start.

Right now we are all working our tails off here to get things up and
running for the time of the catalog mailing.  Our web site will go live
around Jan 1, 2003 and I have finished a lot of new tech information but
have a lot more I want to get ready to post before our site goes "live".
We will also have a program for serious clubmakers to gain a 15-30%
pricing advantage over the clubmakers who order less frequently that
will be a little different program than anyone has tried in this
industry so far.

Mary-Ellen and I do not want to build this into a company that is as
large as the current sales leaders or ever to try to do what they do.
Our goal is to be the best in tech info, best in product, and just be
here in Durango doing what we do best.  We have plans to build our own
testing range reasonably soon with all the bells and whistles, and to
provide the golf equipment and advise on the instruction to make golf a
permanent part of the P.E. curriculum of the Durango middle schools and
high school, but we have to walk first before we can run, so that will
be down the road a year or two.

Anyway, sorry to run off at the mouth on this, but I am pretty pumped
about this and now that our ad is about to appear, I wanted to share
this with you.

Oh, and the other reason we chose Durango is that at my age and with
what I have already done for my own golf clubs over the years, the ONLY
thing I can draw on to hit the ball farther myself is the 6500 feet
elevation!!!!!!!!!!  Of course I have also been told when we buy the
land for our testing range, we have to buy more of it because 300 yards
ain't going to be enough thanks to this air density up here!!!

TOM WISHON

Tom Wishon Golf Technology
695 County Road 233
Durango, Colorado 81301
Catalog request - 1-800-480-0017 (Catalog mails on February 1, 2003)
Voice - 970-375-0411
Fax - 970-375-0412
Email - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
URL - www.wishongolf.com (not until January 6, 2003)