Hmmm, I like that

Mark

Dave Tutelman wrote:

At 05:20 PM 1/11/03 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I think Dave Pelz has been selling them and talking about theory behind it (for putting) for some time now.

Pelz did controlled experiments (using "Perfy", the putting equivalent of Iron Byron) proving that balanced balls putt better. He reported it 14 years ago, and I don't know that it has ever been successfully -- or even seriously -- challenged. He balanced them using floating, which is cheaper but slower. It gives a spot, whereas spinning makes it easy to put an aiming line on the ball.

I found the major disadvantage was that I didn't trust the line it was showing me and I'd putt to where I thought I should (and would usually miss) instead of trusting the line.

That's not a problem of balance, but of putting with an aiming line. I've had the same problem. Yesterday I finally heard an explanation of Jim Furyk's strange putting routine, and it seems to be designed to combat exactly that issue. He stands over the ball for a "pre-read" impression. Then he reads the putt from behind, biased by what he felt over the ball. That way, when he gets back over the ball, he won't be surprised into second-guessing.

If I ever go back to lining up the ball, I think I'll do that. (As if golf weren't slow enough already. Yechh!)

Cheers!
DaveT