Hi guys

I build 3 demo clubs with graphite shafts - the "test" I wrote about a few weeks ago. Something seems wrong and I can't figure out why. I used John Baima's swingweight calculator plus I dry-fitted and measure swingweight myself after tip trimming but before butt trimming to length, to help decide how much hosel weight to put in. My aim was about D2. I used a Tour Wrap as the grip for the s/w estimate (an old one I had cut off a club).

Here is what I built:
- all 3 have GS Tour Cavity 5 iron heads - heads are several years old but at the time I weighed them at 252g plus or minus 1g
- all have standard Tour Wrap grips, they were not weighed but usually 49-50g right?
- shaft 1 - Tom Wishon's ZT R/H - 40" raw length, came in at 72g raw weight
- shaft 2 - UST Tourforce 80 - 40", 80g
- shaft 3 - PM 40+ - 40", 91g

So, Tom's shaft (1) I put in a 9g port weight, came out to between D2-D3 (call it D2.5)
UST, put in 6g tip weight, came to D1
Apache, put in slightly less than 6g tip weight (don't have a scale, snipped a slight bit off)... maybe 4/5g, came to C9

I just checked John's s/w calc again with my final weights and came up with D1, D0, D0 as the respective estimated S/W. They are "close" but all different, I think my scale is ok. I am surprised (a) that they are all light with the exception of the first one and (b) that John's calc and my actual s/w don't seem to jive.

Am I missing something that would account for the results coming in different than expected/estimated? Any suggestions for next time? The only thing I can think of that I should have done was once I tip trimmed, probably should have butt trimmed to length to get the most accurate representation of final length and dry fit the hosel weights from there. ??

As an aside I brought them to Patrick Inglis, clubmaker I know in Waterloo (hi Pat if you're reading this)... he "FLO'd" them for me... I'd never seen that, it was interesting watching the results as the shaft was rotated. Tom's shaft was the most consistent of the bunch on any rotation, all were pretty good though, UST suprised me, for some reason I wasn't expecting it to be too consistent.

As another aside, I also took an old Harrison shaft I had from the last PGA show I attended, a 2.5 FL Lite, which I have never been able to hit and put it in a Super Concorde 9.5 driver... probably will be a real ugly combination but they were both on hand. I wasn't sure what possessed me to buy the driver head - I had bought it online a few years back and it got crushed during shipping, the shaft was flattened, truck drove over it. The head was perfectly untouched, but I'd never bothered to remove it. So... curiosity got the best of me and we'll see what that feels like... feeling the bug coming back... scary! : )

Jen

PS - haven't hit them yet, I will test them indoors today at a dome. At first "feel", the first one feels like a telephone pole, the rest feel ok, I probably haven't hit anything with that high a s/w yet so that could explain my initial reaction... will be interesting to see what they feel like this aft. They are also longer by 1/2" than what I am used to in a 5iron... I probably should have checked lie angles first .. we'll see!