RK:

What you say is true and it is interesting.  I remember when I was able
to spend a fair amount of time on the production floor with Apollo a
number of years ago, we were talking about seamless vs welded tubing.
Their engineers confided that while they were glad that the market at
that time seemed to view seamless tubing as being more accurate for
shaft making because of the little changes in the welded tubes from the
actual welding and heat treatment and material properties as you
mentioned, they were glad that the industry did not know the little
"problems" that they faced daily with working with seamless tubing.
They admitted that piercing and drawing the seamless blanks was never as
accurate on wall thickness as was welding a coiled strip.  So while they
did not have the little changes in the tube from the welding, TT and RP
did not have the wall thickness problems to deal with that Apollo did.
In the end, what matters is what the final product tests out to be
consistency wise, and no one will be perfect - but in a run of 1000
steel vs 1000 graphite that just come off the production line, the
variation in graphite is going to always be a little greater simply
because steel has fewer manufacturing procedures that can create
measurable differences in the end product.

Thanks,

TOM