From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of John Kaufman
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 7:26 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Rules School

Hi Graham,
I don't have the answers but I think you're on the right track. In the 2004 decisions book there are a number of pages devoted to the treatment  of multiple penalties under rule 1-4 (Equity). They don't necessarily just add up. There are nine specific classes of situations and in only  two to the accumulate. For instance an guys leans on his club while bending over to pick up a leave in a bunker. Touching the sand and picking up the loose impediment are both two shot penalties. In this case they are part of the same act and he would only get two stokes not four.

Here's one I knew the answer to and in my altered state still got it wrong. A guy chips from off the green and the ball lodges between the lip and the flag. In removing the flag (the guy's a real klutz) the ball dislodges and moves six inches from the hole. What's the rule? Here's an easy on.e A guy starts with 13 clubs and hits a root with his wedge during a shot and brakes the shaft on the 6th hole. At the turn he grabs a new wedge and another putter from the pro shop. Penalty? Here's one that actually happen to me two years ago. I chip from the back of the green and my third shot on a par four lodges against the pin and the edge of the cup. My opponent in match plays say great shot picks up my ball and tosses it back to me. He then sinks his putt for a 3. What do I do. Did we halve the hole?

It was obvious to me that one of the key ingredients to being a good rules official is to be able to find the answers quickly.  Nobody can know all the subtleties in the rules but must be able to find the answer quickly. The Decisions book for 2004 has about 1200 decisions and about 700 to 800 pages of indexes, appendixes, rules, decisions, definitions and what have you. My big problem in the exam was finding what I was looking for in the book. When you have two hours to answer 50 questions and you spend 20 minutes looking for the answer to one question you know you're in trouble. The question about the caddie and player having the bunker adventure is in the book but I'll be damned if I could find it.

It was really strange coincidence that while driving to the hotel for the final exam a couple of morning talk show characters had their annual golf rules quiz. They had about 8 or 10 questions that  the audience was supposed to call in with the answers to get a  prize of something. They were in hysterics thinking everyone of the rules was absolutely ridiculous and the listeners only got a couple right.  I was hoping against hope the exam would be that easy. It wasn't.

Cheers,
John