Pardon my butting into this thread guys, but for a moment.

RK... I'm a LINUX novice, having just started by setting up SuSe 8.2 Professional in a dual boot configuration with WIN2K.   After just a few hours (spread out over several weeks, because it's not the system I use most), I find it to be quite user-friendly, though not as much as Windows.   I believe Red Hat is considered to be the more popular Linux distribution, but I have no experience with it.

A couple of the things I like most about Linux are:

*The Price - $79.99 or less for a heavy-duty "pro" version, rather than several hundred $$ for Windows.  It's actually free if you know which files to download from the distributions FTP site, but I went for the OEM package because it's all neatly bundled with a couple of manuals.
*Open source code - programmers all over the world share "secrets" and help improve the system.
*It isn't developed and controlled entirely by Bill Gates et al. (not Al)

I would not hesitate to recommend Linux to anyone who has a little time and may like to tinker around with computers almost as much as he does golf equipment.

Unfortunately, I do not yet know enough about it to be of assistance to anyone else.

Regards,

jgk

Alan Brooks wrote:
Sorry, Richard, I don't.  I did a number of years ago and then the big problem was with drivers (printers, scanners, video cards, etc.).  I'm sure that has improved.  The other issue is the programs I use that don't have LINUX versions, or substitutes.  Hence my query to Dave about WINE, which is a WINdows Emulator (sort of).  I don't think LINUX has reached the point where those of us without many UNIX skills are going to be very happy.  But that does seem to be changing.

Regards,

Alan