Brian,

NBP is softest side of shaft. With a spinefinder, there is usually an N1 and
N2 about opposite each other on a sheet wrapped graphite shaft, N1 being the
softest and N2 being the stiffer of the two Ns. Same for the spines, with S1
being the stiffer of the 2 Ss. The N-planes and S-planes are usually about
90° apart. On a NeuFinder2 deflection shaft matching machine, these points
are easy to identify, because I'm reading the actual deflection of each
point in thousandths of an inch as I rotate the shaft.

NBP-COG is simply aligning the N-plane with the head's center of gravity. I
usually use the N1 (or NBP) to the top of the club head, but don't think it
really matters. I think that since the iron shafts are shorter and stiffer
than woods, there isn't much toe droop with the N-plane near vertical.
(Impact marks on my irons are where they should be.) But, I use a lot of
longer A and L-flex shafts for senior wood clubs. Impact marks on my 450cc
driver heads have shown me these shafts have a noticeable amount of toe
droop... impact marks were almost all up a little too high on the face. So,
I tried aligning S1 to the head's center of gravity, which puts the S-plane
in a near vertical position (about 2 o'clock on a 450cc head). I had a very
small impact area with this alignment, but no noticeable difference in
distance beyond the customary NBP-target alignment. Some of the less
expensive proprietary graphite shafts (under $20), which have very large
spines in them (half a flex or more), seem very stable and play very well
for me when aligned S1-COG on these large heads.

If anyone else tries these two alignments to COG (it's very simple to do and
I'll e-mail you instructions if you want to try it), I'd be interested in
knowing if it makes any difference in the accuracy of your shots.

Bernie
Write to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]