I would like to thank all the stalwarts who responded to my confusion
regarding the relationship between MOI and frequency matching.  I now
understand what I want to do with the next set of irons I make.  However, I
must tell you that the information was of very little value during the
building of the set I recently finished.

My client was relatively easy to fit, and I had no trouble figuring out what
frequency slope I wanted to use for him, and the length and basic flex was
also easily determined.  He decided, on his own, that he really liked the
Golfworks CER 701 heads and left shaft and grip selection up to me.  So far,
so good.  I decided to try the Royal Precision Lite shafts this time because
their published data on bend point and tip flex matched the needs of my
client.  I've used many Rifles in the past but this guy needed a bit higher
ball flight and he also didn't want to pay the extra money for Rifles.  Now
I have a set of Golfworks CER 701 heads (3-PW) and a nice looking set of
shafts...I'm ready to work.

As usual, I weighed the heads on the old reliable Ohaus triple beam
scale...then I went for a beer.  It was looking like a long night and I
hadn't even trimmed the first shaft!

3i  -  241 grams
4i  -- 244
5i  -- 253
6i  -- 262
7i  -- 266
8i  -- 276.5
9i  -- 287
PW - 288

Tip trimming for frequency also proved to be challenging.  My normal
procedure using my CS III is to use the head I intend to use on the shaft,
measure and mark to length and then tip trim until I reach whatever
frequency I have in mind for a particular club.  Normally, this is a
relatively simple process of trim, measure, trim a little bit more, etc.
Each time you trim, the frequency will go up for the same clamped length.
Imagine my surprise when I found that, if I was aiming for 314 cpm, and read
310 then trimmed another 1/8", I would now read 306 or some other totally
unexpected number lower than my starting point.  I had to deal with 4 shafts
out of the 8 that showed this peculiarity.  I eventually was able to trim to
the desired frequency, but it was a laborious process!  Has anyone else had
this experience?

Once I had the frequency determined by tip trimming, I trimmed to
approximate length, installed a cut grip complete with butt cap and tried to
determine what I needed to do regarding swingweight to do MOI matching.  Due
to the headweights, SW was all over the map!  I fiddled with them for
awhile, but eventually decided to use lead tape hidden in the large cavity
of the CER 701s to get them all to the desired D0 swingweight.

Before you tell me that I should have taken the heads back to Golfworks and
demanded a better weight sorting you should know that I called them up in
Ottawa and got the reply that I was perfectly entitled to return the heads
but they were pretty busy at this time of year and it might take them up to
a week to sort through their stock to weight match my heads to the desired
7G increments.  The topper was when the rep on the phone suggested that
maybe I was being too picky..."most golfers won't be able to tell the
difference between D4 and C8!"  I've built many sets of clubs using
Golfworks components, and while I know this isn't their corporate position,
I didn't have time to push the case with them.

I simply lowered the price to the client on the basis of not being able to
do everything I promised, and told him that he was free to return the clubs
after 5 rounds if he didn't like them.  He called me up after 3 rounds and
told me that he was shooting the best golf of his life, and his irons were
longer, straighter and felt more solid that the Callaways he paid big bucks
for 7 years ago.  I thanked him for the compliments, and didn't mention that
it wouldn't be hard to build a better set than Callaways.  So the client is
happy, I'm still ticked at Golfworks quality control, and I still haven't
been able to build an MOI-matched set of irons.   I guess I'll wait until I
build my own set of Tom Wishon's 770s.

Time for another beer!

Regards,

Ron