Lloyd, if the butt of the shaft were rigidly clamped than what you say would be true - maximum velocity would occur when the shaft was straight. But the shaft of a swung golf club is not rigidly clamped, it is being held in the hands which are both moveable and soft. That being the case the behavior of the shaft, hands, and clubhead are no longer simply defined. The shaft is no longer in a simple mode of vibration and it would be very difficult to make any general statements about the clubhead velocity at a particular point in the swing. Tom Wishon, who has looked at lots of swing videos, says that shaft bending does not significantly contribute to clubhead velocity, and I believe him.

Consider a shaft with weights on both ends - a clubhead on one end and the hands on the other - bow the shaft and then release it. The bowed shaft will try and straighten, accelerating the clubhead and hands in one direction and the shaft in the other. But the clubhead and the hands are significantly heavier than the shaft and so have more inertia and will move significantly less than the shaft. This is probably a more reasonable premise for the oscillatory behavior of a swung golf club - The clubhead and hands have relatively steady motion with the shaft oscillating between them.

Regards,

Alan Brooks