Lloyd, you've got to be kidding. Do you really believe that at any time in the swing the hands are restraining the club the same as being clamped in a vise? I don't know what your 'Professor' said, or what question he was responding to, but I assure you the two boundary conditions on the vibration of a golf club are vastly different.

Keep in mind that TT was trying to SELL us time on their Shaft Lab. I have Shaft Lab data too and all it is is data from strain gauges on the shaft - there is no velocity information there. If I were trying to sell shafts and my engineers could find SOME instances where the shaft contributed to the head velocity I might say the same thing. In general, I believe the affect of the shaft on head speed is minimal, if at all.

Alan Brooks