Alan said:
> Lloyd, you've got to be kidding.  Do you really believe that at any time
in
> the swing the hands are restraining the club the same as being clamped in
> vise?  I don't know what your 'Professor' said, or what question he was
> responding to, but I assure you the two boundary conditions on the
> vibration of a golf club are vastly different.

He is not my Professor, he was an expert picked by the PCS to discuss the
future of club making. His primary message was that club fitting would be
done by analyzing the load and unload characteristics of the golf swing.
Then he got into measuring frequencies and reaction of the club in the
hands. His statements were the same as yours until he considered my point,
that in the first 1/4 cycle, the grip of the club is forced against the
heal of your right hand and finger of your left hand as hard stops(since
you are left handed). Put the club on a flex board where it is supported by
two pegs, like in the hands, when you pull it down or load it. When you
release the shaft, as in a frequency meter, it stays against those two pegs
through the first 1/4 cycle and then comes off. As long as it is against
the two pegs it is reacting in the first frequency mode of its natural
frequency. After that we don't care what the frequency is.

> Keep in mind that TT was trying to SELL us time on their Shaft Lab.  I
have
> Shaft Lab data too and all it is is data from strain gauges on the shaft
-
> there is no velocity information there.  If I were trying to sell shafts
> and my engineers could find SOME instances where the shaft contributed to
> the head velocity I might say the same thing.  In general, I believe the
> affect of the shaft on head speed is minimal, if at all.

I take it then, you have never experienced anyone hitting the ball further
just because they change shaft stiffness. I have experienced it many times
with my customers.

llhack