From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of TOM FLANAGAN
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:42 AM
To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Titleist tip diameter

By now you know the tip diameter; .335". And you know
the hosel diameter; .335". And you know the hosel
depth on the Titleist is about 3 1/2" plus sanding for
the ferrule, and that the tip is angled to match the
sole angle. And we know you want it to play softer
than "S", whatever that is.

Since the tip is already stripped and angled, your
choices are few. It's easy to see that the deep
borethrough in the head will effectively make the
shaft stiffer. You could make it a "blind bore" easily
by installing the shaft only 1 1/2" into the head and
filling the bottom of the hosel with an old shaft tip,
effectively softening the flex.That of course will
cause a cosmetic problem - an unpainted area above the
hosel that no ferrule will cover. The same is true if
you install the shaft into a blind bore head.

So, if the club belongs to you and not a customer, you
can visit your local auto parts supply store, or
hardware store, with shaft in hand, and search through
the spray paint cans until you find on that matches
the color and finish of the shaft. Paint the unpainted
tip by lightly spraying, a little at a time. Try to
blend the colors. They most certainly won't match
exactly but with care it will be close enough.

I've done this many times, albeit with black colored
shafts, but I've had some success with yellow and gray
as well. if you don't want to go to the trouble, dump
the shaft. I'd do it just to see if I could make it
work, but then, that's me.

TFlan'

BTW: "French Cut" is an angled cut you find in
vegetables, most commonly green beans.