From: Bernie Baymiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:43:46 PM
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Performance benefits of long drivers

Robert,

I have been "testing" long drivers in senior hands since 1995. For those with a
16 handicap or less and a somewhat consistent swing, it takes about 2 hours or
less with just a bit of coaching on the range to learn to hit a 48" driver as
accurately and farther than a shorter driver. It takes about 2 more months of
playing it to gain confidence in the club. After that, it's easy for most
seniors to hit a 48" driver as accurately as a shorter one. Isn't thirty more
yards on a drive worth a bit of practice?

Unfortunately, most players listen to "nay-sayers" and don't stick with it.
But, I had one 60-something guy go from an 11 handicap to a 4 in just two
months with a long driver because he stuck with learning to hit it on
"auto-pilot." I've also had senior women with very little wrist release go from
a light 45" men's driver to a 48" driver in two swings and gain 35
yards...150-185. I couldn't believe a 72 year-old woman, who did have a very
good and consistent 70 mph "arm swing" would even get an E0 swingweight club
square. But, she could because it seems to be much easier to time an arm swing
with longer lengths. The problem with long driver accuracy seems to stem from
not having the stamina to get a high swingweight club accelerating from wrist
release fast enough to get the head square at impact. Learn a little smoother
swing with slightly earlier release and good acceleration to impact and it
works. The change isn't all that great...only 3" more
 than standard...no more than from a  4-iron to a PW. And, with a lower loft,
the driver lie angle isn't as important to direction. If a senior (or
anyone) needs more distance on his/her drives to get more GIR, lengthening and
lightening the driver is a good way to do it...IMO.

Another benefit...a long, high swingweight driver is quite a good swing
trainer. It requires good balance, a smoother, slightly slower take-away and
smooth transition to the down-swing. And, it strengthens the forearm and wrist
muscles in time...which, I suppose, increases swing speed a bit, too. It did
for me.

Bernie
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
You can put any club in a 1 handicapers hand and they will hit it just fine in
just a few swings.  They might not hit it as well as a well fitted club  but
they will adjust their swing  and hit it pretty good.  Put that long driver in
the average golfers hand and they will loose accuracy for sure.  It's just
plain harder for them to get the club around and hit the center of the face.
If you doubt this gt some of your buddys together and some imact tape and go
test it out.