Right you are, TFlan!
My LW is for popping it just over the bunker to a narrow green. (Did that twice yesterday.) Not primarily for flying that tall tree between me and the green.

I count on hitting my PW 105yd and my SW 90. But I can get those distances 80-90% of the time -- that's what I mean by "count on".

When I take a full swing with my LW, I'll get a full, solid strike only about half the time. When I do, I will get a very high 60-70yd out of the shot. That means I do it only when success is more valuable than failure is damaging. Examples:

(a) If I'm in a stroke play tournament and competing reasonably well, I would never try it. Don't try to fly over that tall tree; pitch out around it and accept the lost stroke.

(b) If my match play partner is on the green inside our opponents and I could be on the green too if I fly the tree, I will attempt a full LW. (Actually happened that way last month. I botched the shot and wound up IN the tree. Finally on the par-5 green in 6 instead of in 3. No matter; my partner got the par and halved the hole. The only way I could have helped is with a birdie -- which was what I was attempting.)

Cheers!
DaveT