From: j...@clubmaker-online.com <j...@clubmaker-online.com>
Subject: ShopTalk: Measuring Lie
To: shoptalk@mail.msen.com
Date: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 10:37 AM

I saw this post at an online forum and wonder if there is a new method I've
missed out on (besides a lie board) to get a lie reading?

I don't mean to get off topic, but a loft/ lie board does not work accurately.
To get a true lie reading, you have to get the reading at contact. The lie
boards are obsolete. The shaft deflects as much as 2.5 degrees (in either
direction) immediately after contact, and the lie board gives a reading after
contact. Furthermore... irons have different sole properties and the leading
edge on some grinds don't line up with scoring lines.

So to sum this up... if you get fit using a lie board... you aren't getting fit
at all!--

Thanks!
John Muir
shoptalk