> Scott Ruckh wrote:
>> I am running a jabber server on the same server as my
>> shorewall/firewall.  I also believe that I have a correctly configured a
>> file transfer proxy (Proxy65) that talks to my jabber server.  Currently
>> the Proxy server only listens on port 7777 on the "loc" network
>> interface of the firewall.
>>
>> Would a DNAT rule make sense in this scenario (something like this)?
>>
>> DNAT            inet                    fw:172.16.168.1        tcp
>> 7777
>>
>> Would that rule forward tcp/7777 traffic from the internet to the
>> firewall interface that is part of the "loc" zone?  If the last
>> statement is true, does this logic even make sense?
>

> Hi,
>
> Have I understood you correctly if I think that you want to be able to
> connect
> to Proxy65 (tcp 7777) from both the net and loc zones? If so, why don't
> you
> configure Proxy65 to listen to 0.0.0.0:7777? That way you would only have
> to the
> following rule instead and it would work from everywhere.
>
> ACCEPT         all             fw             tcp     7777

Yes, that is the other half of the equation.  The documentation for Proxy65
with jabberd2 is very limited.  The documentation makes it sound like I have
to bind to a physical IP address and not an interface.  As I have a
dynamically changing ethernet IP address, I did not want to use the internet
IP address in the PROXY65 configuration.  As I am always certain of the IP
address of the "loc" interface of the firewall I configured that IP address
instead.  I do you like your suggestion, but I am not sure it is valid (as
far as PROXY65 is concerned), but I will definitely try it out and do some
testing.