> Then is sounds like /etc/init.d/shorewall is generating '/sbin/shorewall
> stop; /sbin/shorewall start' for the 'reload' command. So
> /etc/shorewall/init will be invoked twice; once with $COMMAND=stop and
> once with $COMMAND=start. That's the way it works and there is nothing
> to 'fix'.

/etc/init.d/shorewall:

restart() {
# Note that we don't simply stop and start since shorewall has a built in
# restart which stops the firewall if running and then starts it.
    echo -n $"Restarting Shorewall: "
    $shorewall $OPTIONS restart $config_file_dir 2>&1 | $logger
    retval=${PIPESTATUS[0]}
    if [[ $retval == 0 ]]; then
    touch $lockfile
    success
    else # Failed to start, clean up lock file if present
    rm -f $lockfile
    failure
    fi
    echo
    return $retval
}

    restart|reload|force-reload)
    restart
    ;;

> Note that to execute the sequence of ipset commands that you want to
> execute, Shorewall must be in the stopped state. So the above sequence
> is appropriate if you want to reload your ipsets.

Nope, you've lost me. I do NOT want the sequence in the init file to be
executed when I am issuing 'reload' or 'restart' (in other words, 'stop'
and then 'start' to be passed to my init file) as the ipsets are already
loaded (and I have created new ones from the command line).