> man shorewall and look for 'safe-restart'.

shorewall safe-restart it is then, except, is there a way I could get
away with the prompt and let shorewall decide if there were no errors to
assume the new configuration, but if there were to automatically restore
the old one (i.e. bypass the prompt and act intelligently)? If there
were errors there is no way I could see them when I am prompted (as they
are shown in the syslog).