>> For future reference, what type of NIC do you have that shows this
>> behavior?
>>

> Two bits of good news:
>
> 1) I've been able to reproduce this with a common Realtek Gigabit card:
>
> 02:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169
> Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
>       Subsystem: Netgear GA311
>       Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 23
>       I/O ports at b400 [size=256]
>       Memory at ff5ff400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
>       Expansion ROM at ff5c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
>       Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
>       Kernel driver in use: r8169

Thanks Tom, I guess then it's quite common with many systems now. I've
checked different cards now. A Intel 82574L and a Broadcom BCM5723 have
GRO disabled while on a Intel 82575EB it's enabled, all on RHEL6.

> 2) I have been able to modify Shorewall IN-BANDWIDTH handling to avoid the
> problem.
>
>    Up to this time, Shorewall has generated a rate/burst policing filter.
> This type of filter seems particularly incompatible with GRO.
>
>    The attached Tc.pm allows you to configure a rate estimated policing
> filter. To do that, precede the bandwidth with '~'.
>
>       Example: ~40mbit
>
>    There are two optional parameters that can be added - interval and
> decay interval.
>
>         Example: ~40mbit:1sec:8sec
>
>    If not specified, the defaults for these two parameters are 250ms and
> 4sec. For an excellent explanation of the parameters, see
> http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/tc/doc/estimators.txt

Thanks, I quickly tested it on one of the existing systems with 4.4.24 but
it fails to compile - I guess I need 4.4.25beta for it.
How about the upload issue in FAQ97, I guess it doesn't change even with
the new code? I think I may still switch off the offloading on all
adapters where shaping is used just to be sure.

Thanks,
Simon