I'm actually running both squid and apt-cacher-ng. Squid uses
apt-cacher-ng internally as a parent, only for deb packages to save
bandwidth since apt-cacher handles that better than squid...and both
do it transparently.
Here is how it's supposed to work and was working earlier before I
upgraded to Ubuntu Precise from Lucid.

web request outgoing on port 80 -> FW -> port 33128 (squid) -> Internet
apt request outgoing on port 80 -> FW -> port 33128 (squid) -> port
33142 (apt) -> Internet

note both squid and apt are running locally on the firewall machine,
under the primary group proxy.

Attaching compressed shore wall dump

Thanks,
Anshuman