Well not sure what else to do so I threw together a "Simple" config
and am trying that out to see what happens.

Could it be the NIC on my MoBo?   It is a RealTek which I've always
considered to be pretty crappy.   That's why I put that one facing the
internet to begin with so I would not have to worry about 1Gig speeds
on the thing.

This is what lshw says about it :

                product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
                vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
                logical name: eth0
                version: 06
                serial: 30:85:a9:48:5d:46
                size: 1Gbit/s
                capacity: 1Gbit/s
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master
cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt
1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes
driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full
firmware=rtl8168e-3_0.0.4 03/27/12 ip=108.162.170.186 latency=0
link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=1Gbit/s
                resources: irq:45 ioport:d800(size=256)
memory:fdfff000-fdffffff memory:fdff8000-fdffbfff