On 31/03/13 21:37, Alan McKay wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Tom Eastep <teas...@shorewall.net> wrote:
>> Changing the OUTGOING configuration isn't going to do anything. If you
>> have specified an IN-BANDWIDTH, get rid of it; do you have normal download
>> speed then?
> Duh, so simple!   Yeah, that seems to have done the trick ...  thanks!
>

> --
> “Don't eat anything you've ever seen advertised on TV”
>          - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

If you do want that on suggest you try it either using either burst or
rate estimation for example on the 80mbps line at home in the past I've
used:

~75mbit:500ms:8sec

That's with rate estimation, which in my experience works better the
problem is without burst the kernel I believe will only let through at
most 1 packet each time it ticks and usually has a frequency of I think
around 1,000Hz or something like that 1,000 packets per sec is
insufficient for high bandwidth lines, max 1,500b (12,000bit) per packet
12,000*1,000=12,000,000 (12mbit) assuming all packets are full to mtu
real world would be lower.

That said I see little point to dropping arbitrarily like this on the
inbound, I now use an IFB so I can selectively drop when the line is
running near max that way typically I avoid dropping UDP as it seems
pointless will have no effect on the rate anyway, instead opting to drop
a low priority TCP packet and let TCP congestion control handle reducing
the rate thus hopefully eliminating quing latency or worse random
dropping at the ISP end of the choke point.  You don't have the same
kind of control you do on upload either way but it does help reduce the
chances of more important services being adversely affected by say P2P,
this could help prevent a large download via P2P or HTTP for example
causing your VOIP to suffer high latency, jitter or packet drops all of
which are bad.

In my case I do it this way in particular for the benefit of the public
NTP server here, NTP is far more accurate on stable connections with
latency and jitter as low as possible similar to VOIP connections.