On 11/14/2017 02:10 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Hi.
>
> When I try to apply a policy a second time (even without changing it)
> from a shorewall6 5.0.14.1 machine to a remote shorewall6-lite 5.1.8
> machine I get an error:
>
> Initializing...
> Adding Providers...
> RTNETLINK answers: File exists
>    ERROR: Command "/usr/bin/ip -6 route replace default scope global table
> 250 nexthop dev eth0.2 weight 1 nexthop dev pppoe-wan1 weight 1 nexthop via
> 2001:123:1c:456::1 dev 6in4-henet weight 1" Failed
> Restoring Shorewall6 Lite...
> Initializing...
> Adding Providers...
> RTNETLINK answers: File exists
>    ERROR: Command "ip -6 route replace default scope global table 250 nexthop
> dev eth0.2 weight 1 nexthop dev pppoe-wan1 weight 1 nexthop via
> 2001:123:1c:456::1 dev 6in4-henet weight 1" Failed
> Preparing ip6tables-restore input...
> Running /usr/sbin/ip6tables-restore...
> IPv6 Forwarding Enabled
> Terminated
> Terminated
>
> Looking at table 250:
>
> # ip -6 route ls table 250
> default via 2001:123:1c:456::1 dev 6in4-henet  metric 1024  pref medium
>
> Is it expected that ip should be able to replace the above with what
> shorewall6 wants to replace it with and this is a bug in the ip tool or
> is there something wrong with the replacement specification?
>
> If I flush that table an re-run the remote-reload, unsurprisingly it
> succeeds.

This is a known problem -- see the known problems section of current
releasenotes. Basically, 'balance' doesn't work with IPv6 because the
above routes are not balanced routes but rather two separate routes with
different metrics.

Tom Eastep        \   Q: What do you get when you cross a mobster with
Shoreline,         \     an international standard?
Washington, USA     \ A: Someone who makes you an offer you can't
http://shorewall.org \   understand