On Thu, 2018-04-12 at 09:10 -0700, Tom Eastep wrote:

> No -- it requires the firewall script to be compiled with the fix, as
> well as having the fix installed on the shorewall[6]-lite firewall.

# rpm -q shorewall
shorewall-5.2.0-0.01.fc28.noarch

# opkg info shorewall-lite
Package: shorewall-lite
Version: 5.1.12.3-1

So I should have the intended fix, yes?

From a reboot of my router this morning:

# ps -ef | grep lock
root      3166     1  0 06:24 ?        00:00:00 lock
/etc/shorewall-lite/state/lock
root      7089     1  0 06:26 ?        00:00:00 lock
/etc/shorewall-lite/state/lock

So the locking appears to be still leaving orphans behind.

I have been considering an alternative approach to this locking.  When
multiple shorewall invocations race, I really only likely care about
the last one winning the race cleanly, since they are most likely
racing just because of an interface status change and the last to enter
the race will configure the firewall with the status of all interfaces
(and other state) already known to him.

So really, the last shorewall process to enter a race should just kill
off it's predecessors and continue on it's way.

That requires that the firewall installation script be able to deal
with any kind of previous partial state though.  Not sure how well
shorewall is able to do that.  It would require the ultimate of
idempotency.

Cheers,
b.